In this article, our team collected the most detailed US coffee statistics for 2020.
First, we analyzed data on coffee consumption by Americans, such as the amount of coffee consumed, the reasons for its consumption, and the cost of consumption.
Then we considered economic factors such as the earnings of the industry, coffee shops, and coffee producers in the United States.
Based on the data we collected, we have compiled our most detailed coffee statistics to date and are ready to give you a look.
These stats only apply to the United States. If you want information about the global coffee industry, we highly recommend you take a look at our global study.
US Coffee Statistics
1. In 2019, 64% of Americans aged 18 and over drank coffee every day. (NCA)
2. Americans rank 25th for coffee consumption per capita, with an average consumption of 4.2 kg per person per year. (World Atlas)
3. The USA ranks 11th among the countries with the highest caffeine consumption, with a rate of 200 mg per person per day. (Caffeine Informer)
4. The average U.S. coffee drinker consumes 2.7 cups per day, with the average size of a coffee cup measuring 9 ounces. (The Motley Fool)
5. More than 150 million Americans drink about 400 million cups of coffee per day or more than 140 billion cups per year. (The Motley Fool)
6. Coffee consumption in the U.S. in millions of 60-kg bags (Statista):
7. Coffee consumption by age (Statista):
8. Coffee consumption among Americans by gender (Hamilton Beach):
9. Reasons Americans drink coffee (Statista):
10. What time of day do Americans prefer to drink coffee? (Beverages Town):
- In the morning – 65%
- In the evening – 30%
- Other – 5%
11. 9 out of 10 older Americans drink coffee at breakfast. 7 out of 10 young Americans drink coffee at dinner—twice as many as in the older generation. (National Coffee Association)
12. In the National Coffee Association’s 2018 report, 79% of Americans surveyed had enjoyed a cup of coffee at home the day before, while 36% had enjoyed a cup of coffee outside the home the day before (Reuters). This means that 15% of respondents had drunk a coffee both at home and outside the home the day before the survey and that 64% of respondents drank coffee exclusively at home.
13. Almost 50% of Americans who buy coffee outside the home do so at a drive-through. (National Coffee Association)
14. 60% of American coffee drinkers visited a branded coffee shop chain at least once a month in 2018. (Beverage Daily)
15. The most popular methods of making coffee in the USA (Statista):
- Drip coffee maker – 45%
- Espresso machine – 12%
- Other – 30%
16. The use of drip coffee makers has decreased by 24% over the past 5 years, while the use of single-cup brewers has increased by 50% since 2015. (National Coffee Association)
17. The most searched coffee drinks in the USA (WorkWise):
- Caramel Macchiato
- Flat White
- Cold Brew
- Latte Macchiato
18. Consumption of espresso-based drinks continues to grow. Here are the most popular espresso-based coffee drinks (as a percentage of people who consumed them last year). (National Coffee Association):
- Cappuccino (33%)
- Latte (33%)
- Cold brew (28%)
- Espresso (26%)
- Mocha (23%)
- Macchiato (18%)
- Americano (18%)
- Flat white (8%)
19. 4% of Americans add alternative dairy products to their coffee, while 40% of Americans add milk or sweeteners to their coffee. (National Coffee Association)
20. The number of people adding only milk to coffee has grown by 66% since 2015. (National Coffee Association)
21. Consumption of gourmet/premium coffee increased by 25% between 2015 and 2019. (National Coffee Association)
22. 53% of US coffee lovers prefer to buy coffee that is environmentally friendly or that supports farmers, while 47% of Americans do not pay attention to these matters. (National Coffee Association)
23. Coffee consumption by occupation (Early Bird):
24. The average American office worker drinks about 20 cups of coffee per week, which equals 1040 cups per year. Over an entire career (from age 18 to age 60), a typical employee will drink about 47,840 cups of coffee. (Hamilton Beach)
25. Millennial coffee preferences (National Coffee Association Blog):
- 70% of the coffee consumed by millennials is in the form of gourmet beverages.
- 32% of millennials consume an espresso-based beverage every day, which is higher than among any other demographic.
- 14% of millennials drink a non-espresso-based beverage every day.
- About 65% of millennials are aware of single-cup brewers, which is significantly lower than among older age groups.
26. People employed in coffee production in the USA (IBISWorld):
27. In 2020, there are about 27,098 coffee production employees in the US. (IbisWorld)
28. Average annual spending at coffee shops by profession, per year (Early Bird):
29. Americans who drink coffee at home will save around $427 per year compared to those who buy coffee from coffee shops. (Lazy Man and Money)
30. Cost of coffee at home vs at coffee shops (Lazy Man and Money):
31. Revenue in the US coffee industry (Statista):
32. Revenue in the Roast Coffee segment amounts to US$319,870.7m in 2021. The market is expected to grow annually by 7.97% (CAGR 2021-2025). In global comparison, most revenue is generated by coffee roasters in the United States (US$66,624m in 2021). (Statista)
33. Coffee imports to the USA (Statista):
34. There are 37,274 branded coffee shops and coffee-oriented restaurants in the US. (World coffee portal)
35. Most popular coffee shops in the USA (World Coffee Portal):
- Starbucks – 40%
- Dunkin’ Donuts – 26%
- Caribou Coffee -13%
- Other – 21%
36. Number of coffee shops in the USA per chain: (World Coffee Portal)
- Starbucks – 14,875 stores
- Dunkin’ Donuts – 9,570 stores
- Caribou Coffee – 4,700 stores
37. Average price of coffee in the most popular coffee chains in the USA: (Urban Bean Coffee)
- Starbucks – $1.89
- Dunkin’ Donuts – $1.59
- Caribou Coffee – $1.69
38. 78% of coffee shops in the USA are part of the Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts, or Caribou Coffee chains. (World coffee portal)
39. Number of baristas per state (Urban Bean Coffee):
40. The average hourly pay for baristas is about $11-12/hr. (Urban Bean Coffee)
41. The average price of a cup of coffee in the USA across all restaurant categories (quick and full-service) is $2.99, compared to Starbucks where customers pay between $1.95 and $2.15 for a tall (12-ounce) brewed coffee, depending on location. (MarketWatch)
42. The average size of a cup of coffee in the USA (Shutterfly):
|Mug Type||Mug Size|
|Oversized Mug||20-25 oz|
|Oversized Latte||20-25 oz|
|Travel Tumbler||15-20 oz|
|Travel Mug||15-20 oz|
After researching and summarising the results of coffee statistics, we have learned a lot of things about coffee.
How huge a role this drink plays for our country, both in everyday life and economically.
I am sure these statistics were very informative for you and you learned a lot of new things.
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can always leave a comment and I will answer you.